Dorian Janmaat, executive chef of Trencherman’s restaurant The Idle Rocks in St Mawes, shares his recipe for sweet potato espuma
Serves 4 as a starter, or 2 as a hearty lunch
You will need
For the espuma
Sweet potatoes 300g, peeled and cut into large pieces
Double cream 150ml
Ground nutmeg a pinch
Chinese five spice a pinch
Turmeric a pinch
Salt and pepper to season
For the sweet potato crisps
Sweet potato ½
Rapeseed oil for deep-frying
Salt and pepper a pinch
- For the espuma: boil the sweet potatoes in salted water until soft (approx. 20 minutes).
- While the potatoes are cooking, in another pan heat the cream, butter and milk over a medium heat. Add the nutmeg, Chinese five spice and turmeric and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain the potatoes and transfer into a food processor with the cream mixture. Blend until smooth.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Funnel the mixture into the creamer gun and keep warm (by placing in a bowl of hot water) until ready to serve.
- For the sweet potato crisps: cut the sweet potato into 1mm slices using a mandoline.
- In a deep heavy-based pan, heat the oil to 180°c .
- Deep fry the potato slices in the oil for 2-3 minutes, then drain on kitchen paper. Sprinkle with salt.
- To serve: charge and shake the creamer gun vigorously. Squirt the sweet potato foam into your serving bowl.
- Sprinkle the sweet potato crisps on top and serve.