Pannacotta lovers will adore this strawberry jelly and pistachio praline version created by Jamie Gulliford, head chef at Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
You will need
For the pistachio praline
Caster sugar 100g
For the strawberry jelly
English strawberries 2 punnets, hulled
Caster sugar 100g
Gelatine leaves 4
For the pannacotta
Double cream 250ml
Caster sugar 25g
Gelatine leaves 3, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes then squeezed out
- For the praline: place a lightly greased sheet of baking paper on a baking tray. Heat the caster sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat, without stirring, until the sugar dissolves and the liquid turns a deep-brown caramel colour. Add the pistachios and mix.
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Allow the caramel to cool and set, then break into shards.
- Store the praline pieces between layers of non-stick baking paper in an airtight container.
- For the jelly: place the strawberries and sugar in a saucepan with the water. Cover and leave on a low heat until the strawberries have softened – the liquid will become a deep red colour.
- Pass the mixture through a fine sieve, then put the stewed strawberries to one side. Add the gelatine leaves to the sieved liquid and stir gently. Leave both the liquid and stewed strawberries at room temperature while you make the pannacotta.
- For the pannacotta: place the milk, cream and sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the stewed strawberries and blitz with a hand blender.
- Remove from the heat, cover the surface with clingfilm and allow to infuse for 10 minutes. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve, then add the gelatine leaves to the sieved liquid and stir gently.
- To assemble the pannacottas, add a small amount of pannacotta liquid to each mould then chill in the fridge for 15–20 minutes until set.
- Gently pour a teaspoon of the jelly mixture over the set mix and return to the fridge for a further 15–20 minutes. Repeat, layering the pannacotta and jelly until the final layer is level with the mould. Leave to set a final time.
- To turn them out, briefly put the moulds in boiling water then invert onto dishes. Scatter with pistachio praline and serve.